• At Taylor County High School, good sportsmanship is just as important as winning and is something in which every student can take pride. Winning is only cheapened by poor sportsmanship. All athletic programs at TCHS stress physical and character development, as well as good sportsmanship.
• TCHS athletes not only represent themselves, but also the student body, faculty, their families and the communities at large. Participation in athletics is a privilege. Along with meeting the GPA requirements, discipline and attendance are supremely important in determining your eligibility to participate. Students serving an Out of School Suspension will not be permitted to participate during the term of their suspension. Students that reach a Level 3 truancy status will not be permitted to participate or attend any after school events until they have met all court requirements set forth in truancy court and their case has been formally moved to monitoring only.
• Every student is encouraged to get involved in our athletic programs. All athletes must comply with the eligibility rules set forth by the Florida High School Athletic Association. If a student is arrested and charged with a misdemeanor or felony, he or she will immediately be suspended from extracurricular activities while the matter is investigated. In substantiated cases, the student may be suspended from participating in all extracurricular activities, including practices/meetings, for an entire school year (from the beginning date of his or her suspension). If a student is convicted of a felony or delinquent act, the student’s participation in interscholastic extracurricular activities will be suspended for the balance of the school year. (Florida Statutes 1001.41 and 1001.42)
ACADEMIC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS (FHSAA)
To be eligible for athletics and interscholastic activities, a student must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in all courses taken which are required for graduation. A student’s eligibility is determined after each semester (not a nine-week grading period). Any student athlete with a cumulative GPA below 2.5 will be required to attend two days of study hall after school each week during their given season of competition.
Prior to participating in athletics, the Florida High School Athletic Association requires that a student must provide the following:
1. Physical Evaluation(current school year)
2. Parent/Guardian Release and Hold Harmless Agreement for High School Athletics
3. Acknowledgement of Standards for Participation (current school year)
4. Proof of Insurance
5. Consent and Release from Liability Certificate for Concussion and Heat- Related Illness
6. Affidavit of Compliance with Policy on Athletic Recruiting and Non- Traditional Participation
7. HIPPA Compliant Authorization to Release Medical Information Form
8. Medical Release Form for Out-of-County or Overnight Travel
9. Emergency Medical/Treatment Field Trip Consent Form
10. Standards for Participation in Athletic Activities Form for Current School Year
11. Concussion Training
ALL OF THE ABOVE MUST BE TURNED IN TO COACH JONES